If spending Christmas in Europe sounds too expensive or too far to go, then why not spend it in Asia? KKday sorts out the Asian Christmas hotspots for you, featuring, Japan, Korea, Hong Kong, Thailand and Taiwan! Looking forward to Christmas as much as us yet?
Christmas in Asia: Spend Christmas in Japan
Yoyogi Park’s Ao No Dokutsu
It’s a blue Christmas on this neck of Japan’s woods. See Shibuya’s Yoyogi Park beautifully illuminated with stunning lights, guaranteed to put you in a festive mood. Locally called ‘Ao No Dokutsu’ (‘Blue Cave,’), it’s one of the most beautiful Christmas events in Asia and a great way to unwind after all that Christmas shopping (READ: 10 Best Places to go Christmas Shopping in Tokyo)
- When: November 22, 2017 to December 31, 2017
- Where: Yoyogi Park, Shibuya District, Tokyo
- How to Get There: Take the train to either the Shibuya Station, Harajuku Station, or Meiji-jingumae Station
- Official Website: Ao No Dokutsu
Shiodome Caretta: Illumination 2017
Similar to Yoyogi Park’s Ao No Dokutsu, Shiodome’s Caretta Illumination is a brilliant blue light exhibition worth catching this Christmas season. Take an easy stroll through the lights and feel as if you’re wandering through the stars. Then, catch the Christmas trees and enjoy the 8-minute long holiday light show!
- Date: November 16, 2017 to February 14, 2017
- Where: 1 Chome-8-2 Higashishinbashi, Minato-ku, Tokyo
- How to Get There: Take the train until Shiodome Metro Station, Exit 6
- Official Website: carretta.jp/illumination2017
Tokyo Disneyland Fantasyland: Gifts of Christmas
We can’t talk about Christmas in Japan without mentioning Tokyo Disneyland. For two weeks each year, the happiest place on earth gets into the Christmas spirit. The whole park is filled with special Christmas shows, performances, events, activities, gifts and a giant Christmas tree that’s an absolute treat for Disney fans!
- When: November 8, 2017 to December 25th 2017
- Where: Tokyo Disneyland
- Book with KKday: Tokyo Disneyland or Disney Sea Ticket 1-Day Pass, 2-Day Pass, or 3-Day Pass
Christmas in Asia: Spend Christmas in Hong Kong
Hong Kong WinterFeast
Hong Kong is another popular Christmas vacation spot, especially for families. If you find yourself here during the holidays, be sure to head down to the annual WinterFest. Children will enjoy the giant Christmas tree Statue Square, where Santa and his friends will pay a visit. Feel the holiday cheer as a choir sings Christmas carols. In the evening head down to Piazza, Hong Kong Cultural Centre, for the dazzling Hong Kong Pulse 3D Light Show.
- When – December 1, 2017 to January 1, 2018
- Where – Piazza, Hong Kong Cultural Centre
- Official Website: Hong Kong Winterfest
Christmas in Asia: Spend Christmas in Korea
Seoul Christmas Festival
See a giant Christmas tree in Changgyecheon Plaza spectacularly lit, with the surrounding park full of holiday lights and decorations. Take a breather from all that Christmas shopping (READ: Top 10 Shopping Spots in Seoul), walk through the Plaza, and drink in the sight.
Lights and Strawberries at Gangwon
Away from the hustle and bustle of the city, Christmas in Gangwon province—a short drive away from Seoul—dazzles locals and tourists alike. This December, pay a visit to one of the strawberry farms, when the strawberries are at their biggest and sweetest this time of year. And after a hearty day of strawberry picking, and a visit to Nami Island, catch the winter light show at The Garden of Morning Calm, one of Korea’s most famous attractions.
- When: December 8, 2017 to March 25, 2018
- Where: The Garden of Morning Calm, Gangwon Province
- How to Get There: From the Gangchon Station, take the train to the Kapyong Station. Take Bus 33-5 until the last stop.
- Book with KKday: Day Tour from Seoul: Strawberry Picking Experience, Nami Island, and The Garden of Morning Calm
Theme Park Fun
If you’ll be spending Christmas in Korea with kids in tow, spend a day at any of Korea’s fantastic theme parks. This holiday season, the parks turn into huge Christmas parties, with non-stop events, shows, and entertainment. Enjoy Everland’s Christmas Fantasy and see their White Christmas Parade. Or head to Lotte World’s Christmas Miracle, where you can sing along the musicals at the Miracle Santa Village.
Everland Christmas Fantasy
- When: November 24, 2017 to December 31, 2017
- Where: Everland Theme Park
- Book with KKday: Everland Theme Park Entry Ticket or Everland Theme Park Ticket with Shuttle Service
Lotte World Christmas Miracle
- When: November 11 2017 to December 31, 2017
- Where: Seoul Lotte World
- Book with KKday: Seoul Lotte World Entry Tickets
Christmas in Asia: Spend Christmas in Thailand
Christmas in Thailand often gets overlooked for chillier, snowier destinations. But despite the warm weather and predominantly Buddhist population, Thailand is bursting with Christmas decorations to give you a happy, holiday atmosphere.
Each year, Central World and Siam Paragon host a number of Christmas-themed activities and events in their shopping malls.Central World will host the annual Winter Beer Garden, a festive outdoor gathering of of brewers and beer enthusiasts.
Central World’s Winter Beer Garden
- When: December 1 to December 31, 2017
- Where: 4,4 / 1-2,4 / 4, Ratchadamri Road, Pathumwan, Bangkok
- How to Get There: Take the BTS to Chit Lom Station
Siam Paragon Fountain Show
- When: December 17, 2017 to March 2, 2018
- Where: 991/1 Rama I Rd, Khwaeng Pathum Wan, Khet Pathum Wan, Krung Thep Maha Nakhon
- How to Get There: Take the BTS to Siam Station
Christmas in Asia: Spend Christmas in Taiwan
Christmasland in New Taipei
If you’re planning a Christmas in Taiwan, try and hang around in the Banqiao area in New Taipei, where you’ll see the district transformed into a dazzling winter wonderland filled with food, live entertainment, and tons of shopping options. Catch the Children’s Carnival with the kids, and meet your favorite cartoon characters who’ll lead all sorts of Christmas-y activities.
- When: November 24, 2017 to December 24, 2017
- Where: New Taipei City Plaza
Fireworks at Taipei 101
Admittedly this is more of a New Year’s Eve celebration. But if you’re hanging around Taipei until then, don’t miss the spectacular pyrotechnic show viewed from one of the world’s tallest towers. Book an early dinner nearby and grab a few drinks in a local pub, before heading to the top of Taipei 101. Kick off the new year on a high note as you enjoy the fireworks over the stunning skyline.
- When: December 31, 2017
- Where: Taipei 101
- Book with KKday: Taipei 101 Observatory Ticket