Holy Week has begun. For Catholics worldwide, the days counting down to Easter are a week of religious traditions, masses, prayers, and self-reflection. In predominantly Catholic countries such as the Philippines, the week-long observance brings daily life to a standstill.
But for the second consecutive year, many Filipinos will have to forego church pilgrimages, summer excursions, and Easter family reunions to curb the spread of the coronavirus. Sadly, Metro Manila and nearby provinces in Central and Southern Luzon are under a strict community quarantine. Additionally, the government intends to continue this lockdown in the days that follow.
On the flip side, all this added time at home allows us to rest, catch up on our hobbies, and do the things we’ve put off for so long. Here is our list of some of the many things you can do at home over Holy Week.
Boost your beauty regimen
Put on that face mask—a clay or sheet mask, that is. The next few days of Holy Week guarantee ultimate peace at home. Consider this an excellent time to catch up on your beauty routine. In case you’re looking for treatments to add to your arsenal of creams, toners, and serums, give these products by Snoe Beauty a try:
- Awesome Poresome pore-minimizing power cleanser for 549 PHP
- It’s Oat-K! It’s Alright! Foaming facial cleansing oil for 549 PHP
- It’s Oat-K! It’s Alright! Hydrating facial mist for 549 PHP
- More Awesome Poresome pore minimizing and clarifying tonic for 549 PHP
Go on a digital detox
This Holy Week, challenge yourself to abstain not only from red meat, from the internet landscape as well. From Maundy Thursday to Easter Sunday, dare to go on a digital detox. No smartphones, no Wi-Fi, no tablets, and no laptops. Live in the moment and relax, pray, and reflect. Your four-day detox would also be an excellent time to start a journal, complete this list, and rekindle family relationships.
Indulge in a home spa treatment
We all could use a break from work, from online classes, from this pandemic. Without the hassle of going to a luxurious beach resort, refresh and rejuvenate at home with these spa-inspired products:
- Body Ritual Recipes scrumptious body spritz for 549 PHP
- Happy White Ever After Delight premium whitening massage and bath treatment oil for 449 PHP
Learn a new language
As we wait with great anticipation for the chance to travel overseas, learn a new language and culture with these online programs offered by Enderun Colleges. Whether you enjoy French cuisine, Japanese anime, or Korean dramas, or simply want to communicate in the world’s most widely spoken tongues, there’s a beginners’ class for you.
- Say Bonjour to French
- Say Konichiwa to Japanese
- Say Annyeonghaseyo to Korean
- Say Ni Hao to Mandarin
- Say ¡Hola! to Spanish
Order Easter desserts
Staying safe and healthy at home means that we can’t see friends and extended family on Easter Sunday. But it doesn’t mean you can’t have an Easter celebration at home. Pre-order your favorite Miss B desserts for Sunday lunch with the help of KKday:
- Delicious Basque burnt cheesecake at 803 PHP per cake
- Decadent lava cake at 435 PHP each
- Moist homemade Thousand Gram dirty brownies for 308 PHP for a half dozen
- Original Cuatros Leches cake for 296 per cake
- Warm and toasty shooky bucket of chocolate chip cookies for 257 PHP a bucket
- Doughnut-inspired milky pandesal bread starting at 206 PHP per dozen
- Sticky-sweet ensaymada bread pudding for 203 PHP per set
Pray together as a household
Since we can’t go out on a pilgrimage of seven churches or attend special liturgical celebrations, the least we can do is to pray together as a family. Pray the Way of the Cross, observe silence during the Passion of the Lord, and pray the Easter Vigil. If your household has a solid internet connection, watching the masses and celebrated traditions by your nearest parish on Facebook or YouTube.
Stock up on your favorite snacks
Public markets, groceries, and convenience stores have been seeing long queues in anticipation of the long weekend ahead. Keep the kitchen pantry and everyone’s tummies full with these snack boxes from Raw Bites:
- Healthy snack pack with gummies, cashews, fruit and nut bar, banana chips, and vegetable crisps at rates starting from 869 PHP
- Health snack box United Kingdom edition with sparkling water, protein bar, dried mango, and mixed nuts at rates starting from 619 PHP
- Healthy local snack box with dried pineapple, fruit crisps, cacao nibs, and mushroom chips at rates starting from 619 PHP
*Featured image via Ketut Subiyanto on Pexels