Pancakes come in all shapes and sizes, but when you’re in Japan, you’ll likely gravitate to the extra thick and super fluffy Japanese pancakes, one of the most popular desserts in Japan. The cloud-like pastry is made with plenty of eggs and whipped egg whites for an ultra-fluffy texture, then served in Instagram-worthy stacks with fruits, cream, syrup, and other toppings.
Drooling for these Japanese souffle pancakes yet? The Tokyo pancake scene is especially vibrant; you can try a new Japanese style pancake every day and probably never get sick of it. Here are our top picks for the tastiest and fluffiest pancakes in Tokyo.
Gram Café and Pancakes
Gram Café and Pancakes offers some of the thickest souffle pancakes in Tokyo. Try the three-stack Premium Pancakes, of which only 20 plates are served three times a day at 11:00 AM, 3:00 PM, and 6:00 PM. Drizzled with butter and powdered sugar, these Japanese fluffy pancakes are a delightful treat at any time of the day.
- Kudanshita: 2F, Urban Cube Kudanminhami, 3-7-10, Kudanminami, Chiyodaku, Tokyo | 11:00 AM to 8:00 PM, Tuesday to Sunday
- Dsaikanyama: 3F, Daikanyama Address 17dixsept, 17-6, Daikanyama-cho, Shibuya-ku, Tokyo | 11:00 AM to 8:00 PM, daily, with irregular holidays
A Happy Pancake
A Happy Pancake is a highly popular franchise shop from Osaka specializing in pancakes. Get three extremely soft pancakes for each order, served with special Manuka honey and butter from Hokkaido. The shop stays faithful to their original Japanese fluffy pancakes recipe, creating their best-selling pancakes without baking powder and additives.
- Omotesando: 4-9-3 Jingumae, Shibuya-ku, Tokyo Kiyohara Building B1F | 9:30 AM to 7:30 PM on weekdays, 9:00 AM to 7:30 PM on weekends and holidays
- Shibuya: 1-18-8 Dogenzaka, Shibuya-ku, Tokyo Dogenzaka Plaza Nishiya Building 3F | 10:30 AM to 8:30 PM on weekdays, 10:00 AM to 8:30 PM on weekends and holidays
- Ginza: 5-8-5 Ginza, Chuo-ku, Tokyo New Ginza Building Bldg. 10 7F B | 10:30 AM to 8:30 PM on weekdays, 10:00 AM to 8:30 PM on weekends and holidays
- Shinjuku: Shinjuku Moliere Building B2F, 3-33-10 Shinjuku, Shinjuku-ku, Tokyo | 10:30 AM to 8:30 PM on weekdays, 10:00 AM to 8:30 PM on weekends and holidays
- Ikebukuro: TⅡ Building B1F, 1-2-4 Higashiikebukuro, Toshima-ku, Tokyo | 10:00 AM to 8:00 PM on weekdays, 10:00 AM to 8:30 PM on weekends and holidays
Burn Side St. Café
In the uber-stylish Burn Side St. Café, get the best-selling White Souffle Pancakes, which is made to order and takes about 20 minutes to serve. The decadent Japanese pancakes are well worth the wait with its fluffy texture and the rich flavor of ricotta. Order a cup of coffee to pair with the dish and you’ve got yourself the perfect morning or afternoon bite!
Address: 4 Chome-29-9 Jingumae, Shibuya City, Tokyo | 9:30 AM to 9:00 PM on weekdays, 8:30 AM to 9:00 PM on weekends
Another chic option is Banks Café nestled in a quiet corner a few minutes away from the Shibuya Station. The café best-seller is Tiramisu Pancake, an extra creamy Japanese style pancake with a sprinkling of cocoa to add a special kick. It’s served with its perfect pair: an espresso shot. Other great pancake offerings include Crème Brulee Pancake and Mix Berry Pancake.
Address: 3-26-17 Shibuya, Shibuya City, Tokyo | 11:30 AM to 8:00 PM on weekdays, 11:00 AM to 8:00 PM on weekends
Uzna Omom B One
Get your fill of all sorts of tasty Japanese pancakes at Uzna Omom B One, a cozy café chain in Tokyo. Various sweet and savory pancakes are available on the menu, but their ultra-thick Atsuyaki Pancake is hailed as the most popular. Uzna Omom B One also prepares special “pancake of the month” menu items.
- Harajuku: 2F 5-17-8 Jingumae, Shibuya-ku, Tokyo | 12:00 PM to 6:00 PM on Wednesday to Friday, 11:00 AM to 6:00 PM on weekends and Tuesday
- Komagome: 6-15-18 Honkomagome, Bunkyo-ku, Tokyo | 11:00 AM to 5:00 PM on Tuesday to Friday, 11:00 AM to 6:00 PM on weekends
Micasadeco & Café
The Fluffy Pancakes with Ricotta Cheese at Micasadeco & Café are absolutely heavenly. The café’s hefty signature dish lives up to the hype with melt-in-your-mouth softness and delicate sweetness that truly puts it among the top fluffy pancakes in Japan. Whipped cream and syrup are both served on the side.
Address: 6-16-5 HOLON III 2F, Jingumae, Shibuya-ku, Tokyo | 10:00 AM to 6:00 PM, daily
Cap off your pancake tour with a serving that all patrons can enjoy, including meat lovers, vegans, and everyone in between. It’s easy to fall in love with Ain Soph’s mouthwatering Heavenly Vegan Pancakes, which is served with homemade vegan ice cream, vegan whipped cream, and fruits. If you’re a traveling vegan, it may be tough to find food options in Japan, so Ain Soph will definitely be a highlight—especially the pancakes.
- Ginza: 4-12-1 Ginza, Chuo City, Tokyo | 11:30 AM to 4:00 PM, 6:00 PM to 9:00 PM on Wednesday to Monday
- Shinjuku: 3-8-9, Shinjuku, Tokyo, Japan | 11:30 AM to 4:00 PM, 6:00 PM to 9:00 PM on Tuesday, Wednesday, Friday, Saturday, and Sunday, 6:00 PM to 9:00 PM on Thursday, closed on Monday
- Ikebukuro: Toshima-ku, Higasi Ikebukuro 3-5-7, Tokyo | 11:00 AM to 3:00 PM, 6:00 PM to 9:00 PM on weekdays, 11:00 AM to 4:00 PM, 6:00 PM to 9:00 PM on weekends
Discover the culinary treasures of the city on the Secret Food Tours Tokyo via KKday. With seven stops, six different tastings, and an experienced English-speaking guide, you’ll sample the best that Tokyo has to offer.
*Featured image via EagleAngle Eyes via Shutterstock