Tired of making big adjustments for costly Japan itineraries? If you’re traveling to Osaka on a budget, frozen meals from the nearest FamilyMart or 7-Eleven might not be your only options.
Whether you’re craving for a hot bowl of ramen noodles or mouthwatering sushi, throw in just a few yen and you can start enjoying succulent and sizzling meals. Stick with us and we’ll show you the most affordable restaurants without sacrificing quality.
1. Ramen Yashichi
Like most quality restaurants in Japan, Ramen Yashichi is a a hole-in-a-wall type of place that you can easily walk past. Once you pinpoint and enter this hospitable shop, get ready to be greeted with an all-Japanese ramen vending machine that takes customers’ orders.
From the vending machine, choose from the holy trinity of noodles: shio (salt), shoyu (soy sauce), and tsukemen (noodles served separately from cold soup) then sit down and stuff your mouth with these creamy, rich, and warm bowls.
- Location: 3-4-8 Toyosaki, Kita-ku | Near Nakatsu Station, Osaka 531-0072, Osaka Prefecture
- Opening Hours: Monday-Friday 10:50am-4:00pm
- Shoyu: ¥730
- Shio: ¥780
- Tsukemen: ¥880
Feeling a bit more daring? Just like the name of the restaurant, food here can be a bit unusual even by Osaka standards. For a flavory fun roller coaster ride, try out the staple Japanese ramen with a twist: the dish is injected with hints of Taiwanese clove and star anise. Or try the Thai tom yum Ramen, which is spicy and salty with an unusual lime aftertaste.
- Location: 3-9-9 Shinmachi, Nishi-ku, Nishi, Osaka 550-0013, Osaka Prefecture
- Opening Hours: Monday-Saturday 12pm-3pm and 6pm-10pm
- Average Price: ¥635
3. Ramen Zundoya Shinsaibashi
Yes, we love to eat local ramen! But did you know that we can also style our ramen according to what fits our taste buds the most? Hit up Ramen Zundoya for their famous ramen in pork-based tonkatsu and choose the level of noodle hardness, amount of oil in broth, spiciness and toppings, and many more!
Bonus: This shop is open 24 hours and conveniently near pubs in Shinsaibashi, which is the ultimate go-to place for that midnight or after party snack!
- Location: 1-5-7 Shinsaibashisuji, Chuo-ku | Sena Bldg. 1F, Osaka 542-0085, Osaka Prefecture
- Opening Hours: 24/7
- Average Price: ¥550
Honestly, trying out authentic, mouthwatering sushi is one of the reasons why Japan is such as popular destination. Explore the restaurant of Tokisushi and take your time looking at menu options such as high-class uni (sea urchin), toro (fatty tuna), and abalone for a cheap price.
We highly suggest trying out the “Mega Mori” which is a plate filled with minced tuna topped with spring onions for only ¥150. What a great deal for sushi lovers!
- Location: 4 Nanbasennichimae, Chuo Ward, Osaka, Osaka Prefecture 542-0075, Japan
- Opening Hours: Every Sunday, Tuesday – Saturday at 11:00am – 2:00pm and 5:00pm to 10:30pm
- Average Price: ¥200
2. Sushi Masa Nakamise
Need a quick yet hearty meal after exploring many shopping sites in Osaka? Head over to Sushi Masa Nakamise which is known for its simple white shop curtains, cozy interior, and the fact that it’s located at Kita, one of Osaka’s favorable shopping areas.
If you find yourself here, try out the smooth nigiri compacted rice set for only ¥540 which is enough to feed a sushi junkie. Add another ¥540 yen and get enough food to fill three very hungry people!
- Location: 2 Chome-5-40 Sonezaki, Kita, Osaka, Osaka Prefecture 530-0057, Japan
- Opening Hours: Every Sunday, Tuesday – Saturday at 11:10am – 11:00pm
- Average Price: ¥540
3. Fujiya Seconds
Some might underestimate Fujiya Seconds for their half-priced sushi, but we know that even cynics will walk out with a satisfied tummy. This local eatery doesn’t have the ambiance of a busy restaurant but rather, a chill and stylish bar.
Get a hold of fresh flavors from their 8 piece best-selling rolls such as spicy tuna, fried salmon, avocado with diced salmon for all under ¥930
- Location: 5-12-14, Fukushima, Fukushima-ku, Osaka-shi, Osaka
- Opening Hours: Everyday except Thursdays at 6:00pm to 12:am
- Average Price: ¥850
1. Tonkatsu Taroufuku
Come to Tonkatsu Taroufuku with some spare change of ¥900 and leave more contented than ever! This restaurant has become popular overseas but of course, nothing can ever compare to the real deal.
Savor every bite of Tonkatsu meal where the pork is covered in crispy panko bread crumbs and deep-fried. Keep adding side dishes: mountain of sliced cabbages, a calming bowl of miso soup, sticky rice, or all three!
- Location: 2 Chome-21-8 Tengachaya, Nishinari-ku, Osaka
- Opening Hours: Everyday from 11:00am to 10:00pm
- Average Price: ¥900
Here’s a fun fact: pais is a common French word that translates to ‘being thick’ and people often mistake this restaurant as a classy French eatery. Well, one part that’s not wrong is how Epais truly serves amazingly thick (we mean a great chunk, of course!) and tender pork for your tonkatsu for only ¥1000! Get comfy and tastethe highly-admired yamagata or refined pork cutlets that are out of this world!
Finally, wash everything down with one of their prominent Japanese beers, such as Sapporo Yebisu or Kirin Ichiban Shibori. For the kidstheir chilled ice cream popsicles are a must-try.
- Pro-Tip: To avoid waiting in a hungry stomach, make a reservation at +81 6-6347-6599
- Location: 1-9-3 Sonezaki Shinchi | New Hana Bldg. 3F, Kita, Osaka 530-0002, Osaka Prefecture
- Opening Hours: Everyday except Sunday at 11am to 3pm and 6pm to 10pm
- Average Price: ¥1000
Tontei may not be the most budget-friendly on the list, but it’s definitely a must-go for their extraordinary food choices. Enjoy simple seafood meals (well, simple in Osaka’s perspective) such as fresh shrimps, cuttlefish, and korokke.
But of course, you cannot come here just for these! Try their quality katsu meal for ¥1450 which comes with a steamy miso soup, fluffy rice, dressed cabbages, and the star: a slab of pork cutlet and expertly seasoned and breaded fish. YUM!
- Location: Daido, Tennojiku, Osaka 543-0052, Osaka Prefecture
- Opening Hours: Everyday except Mondays at 11:30am to 8:30pm
- Average Price: ¥1450
Own Osaka’s streets as you expertly find these locally loved restaurants. From filling rice meals to exotic sushi, there is no stopping you from leaving Japan with a huge food baby Got any budget-friendly yet delicious Osaka restaurants in mind? Share them below!
Our budget guides in Japan doesn’t stop here! Check out:
- Wanna Do Everything in Japan but Have a Limited Budget?
- Where to Stay in Japan: Guide to Japan’s Budget Accommodations
- Food Trip in Japan: Feel Full With Just 800 Yen (S$10)